Founded in 1640 by settlers from Newbury, Haverhill was originally called Pentucket. The name was descriptive of its location along the Merrimack River and was the Native American word for "a place of the winding river.” It is also known for its role in the Underground Railroad and literature, as well as the textile, and shoemaking industries, of the Industrial Revolution. Today downtown Haverhill, is having a renaissance by bringing back to life old mill building, and embracing its role in the creative economy of Essex County. Photos: Haverhill Bradford Rail Trail © Andy Vargas; Washington Street © Andy Vargas; National Mural Project, "Her Voice Carries" artist Sarah C. Rutherford of Rochester, New York © Kishgraphics; Downtown Restaurant Area © Kishgraphics Renaissance Haverhill, The Queen Slipper City’s